One of the great things about setting up your own home gym is that you really can choose your own time to exercise.
With most of us leading exceedingly busy lives these days it often seems that work gets in the way far too often and that means less time with our families, friends and keeping fit.
While setting up a home gym from scratch may seem daunting – and indeed, expensive – in fact the first thing to remember is that you can build up your equipment bit by bit. And that means to start with you might simply have an exercise mat, a skipping rope and a place to do some bodyweight exercises.
Once you get into the routine of exercising regularly you’ll soon find you can’t do without it. As you try different routines you may find you want to purchase new equipment. For instance, running outside on a spring day can be extremely enjoyable, but if you live where the winters are really cold – or the summers stiflingly hot – then you may prefer a running machine in a controllable climate.
Another great option is a cycling machine. Personally, I like cycling, but I live in the city and trying to dodge traffic isn’t much fun, so I use a cycling machine. I can sit down on it, pick a program and away I go, usually listening to music on headphones to take my mind off the fact that I’m not actually going anywhere! You will also always find me wearing the best fitness tracker for biking.
This Home Gym Reviews article aims to give you ideas for exercise equipment, from the absolute basics to top of the range machines and help you choose the equipment and exercise routines that work best for you.
#1 Total Gym XLS Review
Do you want to tone your entire body using a space-saving fitness machine
Enter the Total Gym XLS, a top-of-the-line fitness machine that helps you strengthen and sculpt every major muscle group in your body by using a single glide board and a few simple attachments.
This home gym works by making you lift a percentage of your body weight against gravity, creating a smooth and fluid resistance. As you improve your strength and conditioning, you boost the incline which increase the total resistance, thus increasing the body weight lifted in the exercise.
The home gym not only works your upper body, but also your cardio system, your lower body, and abdominals. The Total Gym XLS turns up the thermostat that burns calories constantly when increasing your muscles mass in your body, whether you have a little muscle or muscle mass.
The Total Gym XLS is available on Amazon at over 50% off retail price!
The gym also comes with several handy accessories that add a new dimension to your workout: a Pilates kit that helps you improve your range of motion and balance; a leg pull accessory that works your quads, hamstrings, and other muscles; flexible nylon strap handles; and a wing attachment for toning various back and arm muscles.
Here are some great features of the Total Gym XLS:
- Top-of-the-line home fitness device for strengthening and sculpting all muscle groups
- Gravity-based resistance system creates smooth and fluid workout routine
- Upgraded pulley and cable system, squat stand, and glide board (with head support)
- Comes with Pilates kit, strap handles, leg pull accessory, and wing attachment
- Supports up to 400 pounds; includes several workouts and workout tools
- Plenty of workout videos to watch, and workout along with them.
- The workout chart, and workout deck of cards clearly illustrates how to do exercises properly, and is easy to follow.
- There is a wide variety of exercises to perform with variations to work the same muscle. There are included workout routines, in addition to the routines in the DVDs, to get you going.
#2 Bowflex Blaze Home gym
The Bowflex Blaze Home Gym has the ability Rod Technology and is also a serious bit of fitness equipment.
Should you be searching for a method to look and feel better, this monster will give you fast results, with just 20 minutes each day, three times per week.
The Bowflex Blaze home gym offers over 60 gym-quality exercises that work all your muscle groups, is actually 210 pounds of Power Rod resistance (upgradable to 310 or 410 pounds) this device offers plenty of room for strength-training growth.
The home gym resembles having a whole resistance training gym tucked right into any room.
Bowflex Power Rods give you resistance, or weight, that feels as good as or better than free weight lifting — but without the inertia or risk of joint pain which is almost always linked to free weight strength training.
Bowflex is convinced that the Power Rod units are so strong that you simply can’t wear them out. You can flex them repeatedly, but they won’t lose their resistance or break. In fact, they’re so strong, Bowflex has given the Power Rods a no-time-limit warranty. If you can wear the Power Rods out, Bowflex will replace them for free.
With Bowflex Blaze you can shape and sculpt your muscles to create your body to look the way you want. It just takes persistence and dedication.
The Bowflex Blaze is available on Amazon at over 27% off retail price! Click this link to take advantage of this tremendous value!
Why does resistance training work better than aerobics for getting fit and losing fat?
For the reason that the more muscles you might have on your body, the higher your metabolism rate, and also the more calories you burn.
Muscle also creates the shape of your respective body — muscle is what makes you progress, it’s what gives you energy and strength. If you want to lose weight, you need to strength train with the Bowflex Blaze to add muscles, burn calories, and look fantastic.
Here are some great features of the Bowflex Blaze:
- Number of Exercises: 60
- Power Rod Technology Resistance: 210 pounds (upgradable to 310 or 410 pounds)
- Lat tower with angled lat bar helps build back and shoulder muscles quickly
- Lower pulley/squat station enables you to do squats and build your glutes, hamstrings, and quads
- Leg Extension/leg curl attachment helps develop strong, muscular legs
- Sliding seat rail allows you to perform aerobic rowing and leg presses
- Triple function hand-grip/ankle cuffs
- Multiple cable/pulley positions enable custom workouts
- Dimensions: 90 inches long by 38 inches wide by 83 inches tall
- Folded Footprint: 52 inches long by 38 inches wide
- Workout Area: 8 feet, 4 inches by 6 feet, 6 inches
When given extensive features and ease of using the Bowflex Blaze, as compared to other high priced home gyms, the Bowflex Blaze is a solid performer.
#3 Weider Total Body Works 5000 Home gym
With the Weider Total Body Works 5000, you can do over 100 body shaping exercises. Weider Total Body Works 5000 features body weight resistance and additional bands to add up to 50 lbs of resistance to define and shape your arms, shoulders, back, abdominals, hip, thighs, and calves.
You get a helpful workout guide which shows you which exercises focus on what muscle groups and how to properly perform specific exercises. It also includes additional exercise suggestions.
The Weider Total Body Works 5000 is available on Amazon at over 54% off retail price! Click this link to take advantage of this tremendous value!
You use your body weight as resistance along with the 4 resistance cables that are attached. You also get posters of workout moves that you can do. Weider Total Body Works 5000 folds down and easy to get out of the way.
Here are outstanding features of the Weider Total Body Works 5000:
- Spacesaver Design – Total Body Works 5000 conveniently slides away for quick and easy storage.
- Rolling seat
- Adjustable incline – You can easily increase or decrease the intensity of your workout by simply changing the incline that gives you 7, easy to change incline
- 50lbs of additional resistance
You can move from one series of exercises to another quickly and with ease. Your entire body is always in motion, and for that reason, the experience is not mundane and boring like when using a weight bench or free weights.
#4 Total Gym 1100
Want to tone your entire body without buying a complete home gym?
Check out the Total Gym 1100, which helps you strengthen and sculpt every major muscle group in your body.
Offering more than 60 different exercises, the Total Gym 1100 works by causing you to lift a percentage of your respective body weight against gravity, making the resistance smooth and fluid.
As your strength and conditioning improves, you increase the total resistance by boosting the incline, thus increasing the bodyweight lifted in the exercise.
The Total Gym 1100 not only works your upper body, but also your lower body, abdominals, and even your cardiovascular system. The compact, efficient trainer can replace an entire gym of equipment, yet folds away for easy storage in a closet.
The Total Gym 1100 is available on Amazon at over 30% off retail price! Click this link to take advantage of this tremendous value!
Here are some great features of the Total Gym 1100:
- Ergonomic glide board with handles for strengthening and sculpting muscles
- Counterbalances percentage of body weight against gravity for smooth resistance
- Works upper body, lower body, abdominal muscles, and cardiovascular system
- Folds away for easy storage in a closet; comes with wing and leg attachments
The total gym 1000 gives you a variety of different exercises and workout combinations according to your level of fitness.
#5 The Bowflex PR1000 home gym
This home gym offer an unconventional way to strengthen your muscles and add a bit of cardio training to the mix with over 30 strength exercises and a built-in rowing station.
With up to 210 pounds of Power Rod resistance, this flexible machine helps work the abs, arms, chest, back, shoulders, and lower body. It includes triple-function hand grips for lat pull-down, a horizontal bench press, and four-inch upholstered roller cushions for leg extension and leg curl exercises.
The rowing machine rail also folds when you’re completed with your workout.
The PR1000 utilizes Bowflex’s patented Power Rods, which provide resistance, or weight, that feels as good as or better than dumbells–but without the inertia or risk of joint pain usually associated with free weights. You can hook one, two, three, four or all of your Power Rod units to the cable pulley system and go from less than 5 pounds completely up to 210 pounds of resistance.
The Bowflex BPR1000 is available on Amazon at over 25% off retail price! Click this link to take advantage of this exceptional value!
They’re precisely manufactured from a top-tech composite material under the finest control measures, then sheathed and tested 4 separate times to ensure quality and durability. The Power Rod units are so strong, you can flex them repeatedly but you won’t be able to put them on out.
Here are some great features of the Bowflex PR1000:
Sliding Seat Rail adds aerobic rowing training for calorie-burning, cardiovascular warm-up and cool-down (also great for leg presses and seated leg extensions)
- Multi-use Hand-Grip/Ankle Cuffs designed to add flexibility and performance to any workout
- Workout Placard displays workout descriptions for easy reference while you’re exercising
- Number of available exercises: 30+
- 210 pounds of Power Rod resistance
- Horizontal bench press
- Triple function hand grips for lat pull down
- Built-in cardio rowing machine
- Folds for easy storage
It does allow for a variety of different exercises, and also provides you with different workout combinations according to your level of fitness.
When given extensive features and ease of using the Bowflex PR1000, as compared to other high priced home gyms, the Bowflex PR1000 is a solid performer. Considering there are higher priced home gyms that don’t have as many functions as the Bowflex PR1000, this is a solid investment.
#6 Phoenix Dual Action Mini Stepper
The Phoenix 98107P Mini-Stepper provides for a full body workout, combining the lower body workout of a stepper with the upper body workout provided by the dual action arms, for a total cardiovascular and stamina training workout.
The compact design means that this stepper is easy to store away when not in use.
The sturdy steel frame should handle thousands of workouts for years of use.
#7 CB-12 Plate Loading Lateral Pull Down Home Gym
As well as lateral pull downs, this full home gym machine enables curl exercises as well as an abdominal workout.
An extensive number of exercises can be performed giving you a complete body workout.
Exercises include theTricep Pull Down, Lateral Pull Down, Seated Row and Upright Row, Standing Arm Curls, Standing Leg Extensions and Abdominal Crunches.
A great value for money home gym.
Home gym vs public gym
There are many reasons why people choose to work out at home rather than use a public gym. Here are some of the main advantages of building a home gym over a paid for public gym membership.
- Convenience – You home gym will obviously be closer and more convenient, saving you time. You can exercise whenever you like rather than the gym opening hours. You also do not have to wait to use equipment.
- Money Saving – In the long run, even an expensively equipped home gym will save you money over a paid gym membership. Good quality home gym equipment can last a lifetime. Think how much even a relatively cheap gym membership costs over a decade or a lifetime. Then there is the money saved in transport costs, not having to eat out after the gym session etc.
- Privacy – Lots of people just like the privacy that working out at home offers. You don’t have to feel self-conscious if there are other people in better shape than you, and you don’t have to be self-consious about your ‘form’, or struggling with a heavy weight. You can wear what you like, and as little as you like. You can play your own music, shout and grunt etc.
- Hygiene – Public gyms have been proven to be more infested with bacteria than your own toilet bowel!