A good pair of steel toe work shoes can be a pleasure to wear while providing your foot with the protection required. A properly fitting pair of work shoes should help eliminate foot related complaints and allow you to work in comfort and safety. When selecting a pair of shoes the things you should keep in mind are the fit, fabric, sole material and the flexibility of the shoe.
The hardest part of the work shoe buying process is finding the right size work shoes. The most important factor is the length of your foot, but it is also advisable to take into account the activity for which the shoe will be used, the width, and the arch. Further, sizing varies according to international standards and from manufacturer to manufacturer.
If the shoe feels good on your foot then you are much more likely to actually wear the shoe. You should keep in mind that the size printed on the shoe box is just a starting point, and a properly fitted shoe should make you almost forget you are wearing it.
Another thing to keep in mind is because safety work shoes are harder and less flexible there is a tendency to buy oversized shoes. Avoid this at all costs since oversized shoes won’t adequately support your foot. Instead the shoes should be snug but not tight.
The fabric from which the best steel toe shoes are made is very important. Some options are leather, suede, canvas, rubber, and some other man-made fabrics. Leather seems to be the most popular material as it tends to fit the foot very well after a short break in period, and it is durable and fire resistant as well.
The sole material and tread is also important in selecting a pair of shoes. Soles are generally made of synthetic or natural rubber or of leather. Synthetic rubber is the preferred material for steel toe work shoes, and it provides a waterproof and hard-wearing sole. The tread should be slip resistant to avoid the chance of a nasty slip and fall injury.
Flexibility is essential in a well-made shoe. If the product won’t bend then it can impair your agility and cause discomfort and even blisters. If your foot will not roll through a step then the shoe is not flexible enough. A shoe also needs to bend in the right places. Again, leather has a good balance between flexibility and durability.
In summary, a great pair of shoes requires a properly sized shoe made from a quality material that offers the wearer the appropriate sole and the proper degree of flexibility.
Tips on Choosing Work Boots
If you’re working in manufacturing and construction – or other fields where a high degree of protection is required – then steel toe boots or shoes are perfect.
You’ll likely discover yourself in one of these three situations:
- Your company requires you to wear durable shoes with reinforcement in the toe area as a safeguard against injury.
- You’re not compelled to wear this footwear, but you want the additional protection that these steel toe boots or shoes supply.
- You’ve got a career in as an inspector or in sales that brings you into workplaces that necessitate added security in footwear.
Here you will find the facts you need to select the most appropriate steel toe work shoes or boots for your situation.
- Ensure that your work shoes or boots have been certified by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) for standards of protection. The shoes should be labeled clearly with its ASTM certification, whether it’s stamped on the shoes or boots or a label is stitched in. Many of the ASTM standards have been enforced and adopted by governmental agencies.
- Make certain that your steel toe boots are a good fit – both on your feet in addition to your particular workplace. When selecting footwear that will fit you well, concentrate on the fit of the protective caps firstly. There are numerous shapes and styles of caps and the most important thing is to choose one that is most appropriate for your feet.
- Select a superior quality pair of steel toe boots or shoes for the highest degree of protection. Weigh how much harm could be done to your foot in a construction or industrial accident – and consider how much that might affect your ability to work and support your family and yourself. Then, invest appropriately in the highest quality steel toe boots.